Nappy rash is most common in 9-12 month old babies, but all babies in nappies can develop it, so it's always best to be prepared! Nappy rash can be caused by:
- Your baby's skin being in contact with wee or poo (stools) for a long time.
- The nappy rubbing against your baby's skin.
- Not cleaning the nappy area or changing the nappy often enough.
- Using irritable or fragranced soaps, detergent or bubble bath.
- Using alcohol-based baby wipes.
- Your baby recently taking antibiotics.
* British Journal of Midwifery, September 2012, Vol 20, No 9